[Koha] MARC records (was: Field 003 of Marc21)

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Tue Aug 7 02:54:24 NZST 2018

I should clarify: I wouldn't strip out the 001 or 003 from a record--I was referring mostly to call numbers, possibly physical description, maybe subject headings--things you need to add to a record. I do very little original cataloging; most of my records I download from OCLC. A lot of the NLM call numbers are either incomplete or missing entirely. For those, I go to the NLM classification site (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/class//) and try to come as close as I can. For the Cutter number, I look in my Cutter-Sanborn Three-Figure Author book or to http://www.unforbi.com.ar/cutteren/. For the handful of books for which I create an entire record, well, I do the best I can.

I used to worry about getting it exactly right, but now I figure that if it's off a bit, it doesn't matter.

>> *And yes, someday I'm going to move the catalog from the MS Access 97 database to Koha.
>Then please use Koha as a recognizable library catalogue rather than a
>glorified spreadsheet. But YMMV.

But of course. That's why I haven't done it yet--I want to get it right. :-) And we're still unpacking from the move.

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
--Terry Pratchett