[Koha] Field 003 of Marc21

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Tue Aug 7 02:25:22 NZST 2018

On 2018-08-06 09:26 AM, King, Fred wrote:
> Real catalogers are going to turn pale and have to sit down when they read this

IT technicians (and lawyers) might also turn pale. The combination of
001 and 003 should be unique, and show the origin (certainly as a
courtesy, if not as the responsibility and the possible copyright of a
z39-50 download) of what you are using in your library db. "Your
library" might be big, small, at home, whatever; but if you make your
records available to the public, surely some level of accountability is
desirable.

MARC21 (and other flavours used by Koha) have been developed over many
years from tradition, some common sense, some technicalities, probably
many more considerations by tens of thousands of quite smart librarians,
archivists and end-users. Koha makes this available at a fairly painless
level.

> *And yes, someday I'm going to move the catalog from the MS Access 97 database to Koha.
Then please use Koha as a recognizable library catalogue rather than a
glorified spreadsheet. But YMMV.

Best -- Paul