[Koha] RFID fixed readers, Koha and middleware

Petter Goksøyr Åsen petter.goksoyr.asen at kul.oslo.kommune.no
Mon Nov 27 19:24:48 NZDT 2017

Hi,

We found that the quality and flexibility of off-the-shelf RFID scanners to be rather limited, so we made our own :)

The main problem with commercial ones, is that you cannot customize much how it interacts with your ILS.

For now, it's just a prototype, but you can read a brief experience report here:
https://medium.com/deichman/shelf-cleaner-40a1d819a8bf

Code, 3-model and schematics can be found here:
https://github.com/ohait/rfid-scanner

We're working on finalizing the design based on a custom-printed PCB, which will significantly simplify assembly.

It's not for everyone for sure, but if you have technical staff who likes tinkering it might be worth considering.

Regards,

Petter Goksøyr Åsen
Deichmanske bibliotek / Oslo Public Library