[Koha] Item types in Koha

Gaetan Boisson gaetan.boisson at biblibre.com
Sat Feb 4 04:52:29 NZDT 2017

Thanks for the input Joy. It's a discussion that has caused actual
flamewars here, so i'll try to make it not too complicated! Maybe a
topic for the next hackfest too.

-- to the point version : --

Does the community think it's a good idea to add a "bibliographic type",
to qualify records, with specific indexes and search features so that we
can differentiate clearly the typology set up at the bibliographic level
and the one at the item level?

The item-level_itypes system preference would remain the same, and would
allow libraries to choose which of these two criterias they want to use
for circulation rules. It would then of course be possible to have a
set-up where only one of the two levels is used, but having both would
be possible, and wouldn't be too confusing.

-- convoluted version : --

Catalogs aren't frbr-ized in France either, and we usually have one
record for the ebook, and one for the print, a different for each
edition, etc. (Maybe my example wasn't so great...) Libraries also tend
to have a number of records without items, which makes the record-level
type mandatory in most cases. They also tend to have elaborate
circulation rules for their items, which makes an item-level type
mandatory as well.

I am confused by your first paragraph though. You seem to say US
libraries will have a record for each type, but the system preference is
always set to item level. Wouldn't the type be the same for all items then?

I think we cannot really get rid of the 942$c (which for some reason is
in 099$t in French unimarc set-ups), it makes sense in a lot of
situations, not least when a record has no items. It doen't have to be
renamed to "record type" though. I would say Koha has two entities here
which need a type : Biblios and Items. So it could be "biblioitem type"
to be consistent with the odd name in the database. Or "bibliographic
type" which sounds better if you ask me.

I think they should be indexed separately, and deserve separate
checkboxes lists in the advanced search, maybe even separate facets.

Right now for me the issue really has a lot more to do with terminology
than with features. In a lot of situations, we just create an authorized
value that we use at the bibliographic level, with a specific index, use
the item-type at the item level for circulation rules, and we have a
setup that fits our need and makes sense. But then, the item level type
is called "type de document" everywhere in the interface, and that
drives some librarians insane.

We could start right now by changing the translation at least to "type
d'exemplaire" (which is anyway more consistent with the terminology in
the english templates), but i'll take this issue to the French part of
the community!

gaetan.boisson at biblibre.com