[Koha] Item types in Koha

Joy Nelson joy at bywatersolutions.com
Fri Feb 3 13:13:56 NZDT 2017

Gaetan,
I've spent some time pondering this.  I have not encountered the confusion
that you seem to have run into.  It may be a difference in how 'things' are
cataloged in the US versus Europe.  In the US, catalogs are by and large
not FRBR-ized.  We rarely run into a situation where libraries will place
different types of items onto a single MARC record.  Typically there is a
MARC record that is specific to E-books, another MARC record for the second
edition print version, another MARC record for the large print version.  It
seems US catalogers prefer to have things separate in the catalog.  So for
the vast majority of our libraries that system preference is never
considered.  It is set to item-level_itypes is set to the item level, not
the Bibliographic level.

I do appreciate your discussion on the searching aspect of the catalog.
The biggest use I see in the 942 'itemtype' is for eresources.  Often those
bibliographic records have no item records in the catalog.  So the 942$c is
needed to be able to search for those titles.  And yes...this is where we
too run into confusion explaining 'itemtype' at the bib-level versus
'itemtype' at the item level.  I can see value in renaming the 942$c the
Record Type.   Would we then introduce confusion by explaining that the
'item type' search searches both Record Type and Itemtype?  Further, for US
catalogers, 'record type' is something that is coded in the leader and the
008 tag of the MARC record.  So I would anticipate we would see significant
confusion from catalogers with the use of 'record type'.

One library I am working with now is interested in using the itemtype
category to help with patron searching.  So a DVD, VHS, BLU-RAY items could
all be assigned to the VIDEO itemtypecat.  When the patron searches VIDEO,
(and assuming they don't care about the format), they would see a result
list containing all the itemtypes.   This is new territory for me, so I'm
excited to explore this with them.  (Thank goodness they have a test server
we can play on before implementing on production).  For me, this seems to
be another way to use a 'higher level type' to group items into 'like'
types, while still maintaining the circulation item level rules.  Perhaps
another way out is to get rid of the 942$c altogether?  That would make me
happy.

Interesting discussion.

joy