[Koha] Inventory

Christopher Davis cgdavis at uintah.utah.gov
Wed Jun 8 04:44:34 NZST 2016

Joel,

My institution is currently running an inventory on our collections.
The way we do our inventory is to collect item barcodes, submit them
using the inventory tool found at Koha>Tools>Inventory>Use a barcode
file (the *first* time that you run this tool, you will need to record
the date found within the "Set inventory date to:" field for future
use). You should probably scan the barcodes of your collections when
the library is closed because the "Use a barcode file" tool will
automatically check in/discharge any items which it finds checked out
(which causes a big mess if patrons have items which are no longer
checked out to them). Also, sometimes the "Use a barcode file" tool
will encounter a barcode which did not read correctly or has another
problem with it; the "Use a barcode file" tool will note any such
barcodes it encounters. You can handle those exceptions manually.

Next, add the "Inventory Report" or "Inventory Report by Location" to
your Koha system (found at
<https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library#Inventory_Report>).
When running either inventory report, plug the threshold date into the
report parameters (remember the date I told you to record in the
paragraph above?), and the report will display which items have not
been seen by Koha since the threshold date which you inputted. This
gives you list of items you can then hunt for or weed out of your
collections.

HTH,

Christopher Davis, MLS
Systems & E-Services Librarian