[Koha] mysqldump (koha-dump)

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Fri Jan 8 07:07:11 NZDT 2016

At 03:47 PM 1/7/2016 +0000, Barry Cannon wrote:
>Hello,
>           I am curious how many people use the koha-dump script to dump
> their Koha database? I am particularly interested to know how people are
> dealing with larger databases where mysqldump causes table locking.

We looked into this (not sure what your definition of "larger database" is
-- our dumps are around 670 Megs) and decided to go the hardware route
using solid state drives for both the db and the backups. End result, we
have less than 4 seconds "downtime" for a daily cron-job which (so far,
touch wood) has not given rise to any complaints.

Note that we "clean" the db before dumping, specifically sessions (with the
spiders we seem to get >100,000 / 24 hours despite blocking Baidu at the
firewall) and imports (our cataloguers can get very busy) -- the mail, logs
(we retain only 10 days) and zebraqueue appear to be less substantial --
which saves between 50 and 100 Megs.

Best -- Paul