[Koha] mysqldump (koha-dump)

Barry Cannon bar at interleaf.ie
Fri Jan 8 04:47:06 NZDT 2016

Hello,
          I am curious how many people use the koha-dump script to dump their Koha database? I am particularly interested to know how people are dealing with larger databases where mysqldump causes table locking. I would typically suggest using the '--single-transaction' option but I notice there is still one table, pending_offline_operations, that isn't using InnoDB as it's storage engine. Best practice is to use 'lock-tables' in this instance (mysqldump locks by default) but with a larger database this can cause a non responsive interface for the duration of the backup. We have sites where the one system is used by users in different time zones, this causes a headache as "out-of-hours" doesn't exist.

LVM snapshots would be useful but prove tricky when using hosting providers.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Regards
Barry Cannon
Interleaf Technology