[Koha] MySQL database server, dedicated vs virtual

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Tue Dec 6 04:33:16 NZDT 2016

At 02:02 PM 12/4/2016 +0000, Marcel de Rooy wrote:
>Please note:
>Staying at Koha 3.8 is not recommended. The current release (16.11 ==
>3.26) is already 9(!) release cycles behind..
>And I would not advise others to do so.

Marcel -- I don't know how you could read my comments as a "recommendation"
or "advice" to stay with Koha 3.8.24. I mentioned, in response to RG's post
"... was about 60-80% slower... ", that we had done some lengthy analysis
of search speed (which I carried out with the assistance of the the Koha
community and openly made available) and made the disappointing decision to
remain with that version, under our specific circumstances. And I concluded
with "YMMV" which stands for "your mileage might vary."

Perhaps I should have been clearer: Koha was our indisputable choice for an
OPAC (3.4.x) back in 2011; we are not a lending library, so the undoubted
enhancements for lending libraries are irrelevant to our needs; the
corollary is that if such enhancements have negative effects on our
requirements, we very definitely look at them (sandbox level) but will not
use them in production (i.e. on the public web interface.)

Our production servers are all Ubuntu LTS based: this is a two to five year
cycle; we do not have the budget or necessary volunteer hours to review
monthly or bi-monthly changes (except security concerns); our overriding
concern is total, hands-off stability; I have no idea if we are the only
Koha-based library that uses a similar LTS approach.

Koha 3.8.24 was released 5/29/2014, corresponding to the Ubuntu 14 LTS
cycle. We recently upgraded two of our production servers to Ubuntu 16 LTS
for other databases, but unless I am mistaken Koha 16.11 does not install
(or at least not easily in our experience, and we have tried) on that o/s.
So we maintained an additional, dedicated 14 server (with three years
remaining Ubuntu support to 2019) for the OPAC when we followed the Ubuntu
cycle. Again, this was disappointing, and again this represents only our
very specific needs.

So, when I say "your mileage might vary" I mean exactly that -- we probably
are atypical of many Koha users, but are extremely happy and proud of our
Koha OPAC -- so, if it wasn't clear, let me state that our analysis of
search speed is *not* any sort of recommendation.

Best regards -- Paul