[Koha] Publisher as authority

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Fri Aug 19 07:33:16 NZST 2016

Hi, Adam--

If we do want an authority controlled added entry for publisher, we put it
in a 710 field.  Since the 260 (or 264) field is transcribed from the item,
it has to match what is in the item, which may not match the authoritative
form of the publisher's name.  (We use MARC21, by the way.)  Our authority
records for publishers are normal corporate body authority records (i.e.,
110s.)

We have never traced publisher's locations, but, again, the information in
the 260 (or 264) is transcribed from the item.  I have heard of special
collections that create an authority controlled added entry for place, and
the ones I've seen are based on geographic authority records (151s) and
traced in 751 fields.  I have no personal experience with doing this in
Koha, though!

I hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/museum-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg