[Koha] Integrating digital repositories

clint.deckard clint.deckard at frontiers.co.nz
Mon Sep 15 15:01:30 NZST 2014

G'day all,

Working with Koha in schools I have often thought how more useful Koha
could be if there was an easy way to integrate student created media eg.
videos, podcasts, sound files etc
But uploading files to a Koha server isn't straight forward. Uploading
to sharing sites like Mega.co.nz  ;) is one way around, then cataloguing
like any other 856u item, however having the file locally would be better.
Another use case I came across recently required a local digital
repository and this has focused me on the possibilities.

Here is a quick summary of my personal experiences. I am not an expert,
this is new territory for me. I welcome any feedback and accept any
mistakes I have made.

DSpace is released under the BSD licence and has a comprehensive feature
set but not so easy to install. Others report not so easy to integrate
with Koha although I didn't actually get DSpace working to experiment
with it. Has a focus as an institutional repository. Backed by HP and
MIT library.

Greenstone is released under GNU GPL, is predominantly installed on
Windows but does have Linux and Mac versions. Developed in New Zealand
at Waikato University with UNESCO backing. Reasonably easy to install
in Linux but although functionally capable it feels 'clunky'.
Development seems to have all but stalled.

Kete comes from the Horowhenua Library Trust (like Koha) and integrates
very well with Koha from what others have said. Again, I didn't actually
get Kete running on Debian; very nearly, but when I heard a new version
might be available real soon, I chucked it in. The ruby on rails part
was the hard bit for me.
Has a focus as a community driven repository.
development has had a hiatus of a couple of years but, rumour has it, a
new version is almost complete. I am optimisic for Kete's future and
will check back soon on developments.

Omeka is also GPL, actively developed and lots of functionality with the
use of plugins. Very easy to install and easy to use. Shows a lot of
promise.
I added the OAI-PMH repository plugin to Omeka and then harvested
records via the MarcEdit harvester tool for import into Koha.

This Koha enhancment
Bug 10662 - Build OAI-PMH Harvesting Client
sounds really useful in linking the digital archive with Koha.

I would be pleased to hear others experiences with digital repositories.

Clint.

--
Clint Deckard

Anact Open Source Solutions