[Koha] Hardware requirements

Bruce A. Metcalf bruce.metcalf at augustansociety.net
Wed Sep 10 10:23:31 NZST 2014

On 09/07/2014 01:50 AM, Witoszynskyj Stephan wrote:
> we are a (very) small library. We are using Koha since a couple of months. So far our installation is „offline“ (on an old Mac Mini that is not accessible from the internet). Now we want to go online. Due to our limited budget the only option will be renting a virtual server. However, I have no idea which specifications will be sufficient in our case. I know that more is always better, but our financial resources are really limited.
>
> The offerings that I currently have, have following specifications:
> * Single Core, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB hard disk
> * Single Core, 1024 MB RAM, 40 GB hard disk
>
> We have less than 5000 books and less than 250 customers.
Even the small size should be more than adequate, though take note of
comments others have made about speed vs. RAM.

I'm running a Dual Core, 2000 MB RAM, 8 GB hard disk for 3000 books. It
runs as fast as a dedicated box on my test bench, and there's plenty of
overhead. (Though as I'm a reference library, there's no circulation use.)

What I suggest you consider is a virtual hosting service that permits
you to adjust your RAM, hard drive space, and perhaps bandwidth on the
fly. I've changed my configuration a dozen times as my wee system has
grown, and it's nice to know I'm only 5 minutes from more drive space!

My provider is RimuHosting (more Kiwis!) and the above system is costing
me about US$20/month. One could do well with much less. Buy small and
upgrade as you feel the need.

> I’m sorry that I’m asking a question that has been asked a hundred times…
No apology needed. It's an excellent question, and the answer will
evolve over time, so it's good to ask again.

Regards,
/ Bruce /
Bruce A. Metcalf
Library Director