[Koha] Technical help with Frameworks

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Thu May 29 11:14:58 NZST 2014

Theoretically, you can edit the visibility offline in the spreadsheet.
Column M in the MARC subfield structure sheet. Easier to do than
individually in Koha itself.
However,  I've tried .ods, and I've tried xls and all I get are import
errors.
I have edited frameworks this way before 3.14.
 I'd be interested to know if anyone has edited a framework exported from
3.14 and had it import successfully.  Has something changed in the import /
export process that is causing it to fail?

All I want to do is set up a very simple framework to use with an in-house
template that doesn't take me a day's work to hide and unhide all the
subfields one at a time.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Ian Bays <ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> We find that the safest way of trimming frameworks to a more minimalist
> set is to "hide" the subfields.  This can be quite laborious through the
> staff interface as you have to select each subfield and look in "Advanced
> constraints" then Visibility.
>
> If you have access at the sql level you can probably set the field
> "hidden" in table "marc_subfield_structure" to value -6 for those tags you
> do not want to appear (within your chosen framework).
>
> You might also want to change the tab for display to all be the same (eg
> "0") if you only have 18 tags.  That just makes it clearer on the screen.
>
> Not every field has or needs to have a koha to marc mapping, but a few of
> the koha fields must be mapped to marc subfields.  The Administration tool
> "MARC bibliographic framework test" and other tools in the same area should
> help fine tune it.
>
> We try to avoid removing fields (tags) and subfields from frameworks as
> you could lose bibliographic data if you switch between frameworks while
> editing and save the record.  It depends what your longer-term plans might
> be for use of the system as to whether this might be a consideration.
>
> If you stray too far from the MARC standard tags you may find that
> searching for records becomes unreliable as the search indexes are fed from
> the fields and subfields according to the MARC21 (or UNIMARC) standard.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Ian
>
> On 28/05/2014 15:09, Alexander Tim wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is the correct list to email but if not hoping someone
>> can send me in the right direction!
>>
>> So, I am not a Librarian but work as a sys admin for my company.  We have
>> a small Company Library that is used to publish various technical
>> publications for our users to look through.  We are looking to move to Koha
>> but I find I am struggling with the initial steps of trimming down the MARC
>> Framework.  The list of fields I have been passed by our Librarian is for
>> only 18 or so fields.  I am therefore finding cutting down the default
>> framework very laborious.  I have looked to Import a cut down version of
>> the framework, from an amended export to CSV, but this fails with "Error
>> Importing the Framework".  I was then hoping that there is something on the
>> SQL side I could do to amend the framework but this has not exactly yielded
>> any useful results.  Is there anywhere I can check for an error on the
>> framework import?  If not is there any guidance on cutting a framework down
>> to just the required fields?
>>
>> I am also concerned that not every field we have in the proposed
>> framework would have a corresponding Koha to MARC mapping.  Would this be
>> required or are these there for simplicity rather than a necessity?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Tindall Riley Marine (UK) Limited
> [...]

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)