[Koha] Technical help with Frameworks

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Thu May 29 04:43:22 NZST 2014

Hi Tim,

We find that the safest way of trimming frameworks to a more minimalist
set is to "hide" the subfields.  This can be quite laborious through the
staff interface as you have to select each subfield and look in
"Advanced constraints" then Visibility.

If you have access at the sql level you can probably set the field
"hidden" in table "marc_subfield_structure" to value -6 for those tags
you do not want to appear (within your chosen framework).

You might also want to change the tab for display to all be the same (eg
"0") if you only have 18 tags.  That just makes it clearer on the screen.

Not every field has or needs to have a koha to marc mapping, but a few
of the koha fields must be mapped to marc subfields.  The Administration
tool "MARC bibliographic framework test" and other tools in the same
area should help fine tune it.

We try to avoid removing fields (tags) and subfields from frameworks as
you could lose bibliographic data if you switch between frameworks while
editing and save the record.  It depends what your longer-term plans
might be for use of the system as to whether this might be a consideration.

If you stray too far from the MARC standard tags you may find that
searching for records becomes unreliable as the search indexes are fed
from the fields and subfields according to the MARC21 (or UNIMARC) standard.

Good luck.

Ian