[Koha] Comparing Koha

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 08:39:38 NZST 2014

Bula!

>G ood afternoon from Fiji
>
> May I humbly request if anyone has a detailed analysis of Koha in comparison to
> other LMS systems e.g. NewGenlib and Evergreen in relation to the modules such
> Acquisition, Serials, Circulation, Cataloguing Reporting, Supervisor and
> Manuals.

    There's an older (2011) but pretty scholarly paper that I like to refer folks to when we get this question. I've had a bit of trouble accessing it, but it's worth a read:

How to choose an free and open source integrated library system by Tristan Müller

    One of the happy problems with OS is that the development pace far exceeds research.

> I ask this because we are trying to find a alternative to our current LMS
> system, Athena.
>
> Athena is no longer supported and the company which bought the previous company
> which sold us Athena only has a commercial software called Destiny.
>
> Destiny is an easy option to choose because of data migration is easy, however,
> I want to be sure that I have analysed Koha, NewGenlib and Evergreen first
> before making a decision on which LMS to replace Athena.

    I'd wager that you will be happier choosing any of the three options you've mentioned over Athena and Destiny. It really comes down to what works best for you, which is an entirely subjective sort of beast. Your user experience and mine are very different, though it can be quite helpful to keep a scoresheet to try and get an apples to apples comparison. Along that aim, the FOSS folks over here came up with this:

https://foss4lib.org/decision-support/ils-ssm

    Again, it's an older tool.

    Yet another palm tree infested library recently produced this preso, which is a kind of nice counter to FUD, and it's brand spanking new.

http://prezi.com/bmmktwsqmf3a/open-source-feel-the-fear-and-do-it-anyway/

    There are Koha users in Fiji, and I would encourage you to go visit your neighbours. Unfortunately, the Fiji folks are naughty and didn't edit themselves into the wiki, so folks think there are only Aussies and whatchamacallits, you know the lazy bird ones... *cough cough* hint edit the wiki

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/KohaUsers/Oceania

but I know the Fiji folks exist from here:

http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2012-August/033952.html

    Hope this helped!

Cheers,
Brooke