[Koha] Open source replacement for 3M self check station

Chad Roseburg croseburg at ncrl.org
Thu Sep 26 05:04:26 NZST 2013

We use Koha selfchecks with generic touchscreens and scanners. Not too
difficult to set up. We used Debian
with Chrome in Kiosk mode. Later ...

We had some 3M selfchecks that we tried to convert using the same strategy
but drivers for the hardware were
a barrier. If someone has had success with the security strip reader or any
of the 3M equipment we'd also be interested in hearing about it.

Chad

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM, glaws <glawson at rhcl.org> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately it seems that you need a system now, and anything we do
> > won't be worked on until at least mid- late-2014. This is, however, a
> > good discussion topic and worth continuing.
> >

> Would it be an accurate statement that the primary distinctive issues (as
> opposed to the usual issues with setting up a kiosk computer) that an
> open-hardware self-checkout machine would be need to deal with are:
>
> - interacting with whatever device desensitizes security strips?
> - interacting with RFID pads?
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen
> --
> Galen Charlton
> Manager of Implementation
> Equinox Software, Inc. / The Open Source Experts
> email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
> direct: +1 770-709-5581
> cell:   +1 404-984-4366
> skype:  gmcharlt