[Koha] Git vs. Released versions - preferences?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Oct 3 03:50:13 NZDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Tom Hanstra <tom at nd.edu> wrote:

> I'm starting to work through a new install of Koha for a new site. Up
> until now, I've only installed and upgraded from the released versions.
>  But I'm wondering if I would be better off installing from the git
> repositories.
>
> What are people using if they only plan to install fully released
> versions.  Is there an advantage to installing from the git repository if
> we won't be looking for the latest patches?  Are upgrades made easier if
> git is used?

At the moment, one of the easiest ways to manage a production Koha
installation on Debian or Ubuntu is to install from released packages,
where in applying an upgrade can literally be as simple as doing an
'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade'.

Since maintenance releases come out monthly like clockwork, bugfixes get
distributed quickly, so there's little reason to live on the bleeding edge
-- especially since, in your case, you've indicated that you're not looking
to do that anyway.

If one in a mode where you are doing a lot of customization, one might
maintain a Git repo and build local Debian packages for deployment into
production.

If you're not using Debian or Ubuntu, the same principle applies to
installing from the release tarballs, though it is a bit less convenient
since the Koha cluster management scripts aren't yet tested for anything
except Debian and Ubuntu, although there is active work to generalize them.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton