[Koha] Summary of Open session at KohaCon13 - with a focus on Funding the Future of Koha.

Joel Sasse jsasse at plumcreeklibrary.net
Thu Nov 7 18:26:45 NZDT 2013

Brendan,

Excellent post and analysis of the current situation and the path forward
for Koha, both for users and developers.

 I was just considering putting forth the idea of a Midwestern US Koha users
and developers conference, perhaps just more of an informal get together,
and gauging the level of interest. Regardless of the title, everyone would
certainly be welcome.  Although technology can facilitate distance
collaborations, I don't believe it can ever substitute for face to face
human interaction. After attending KohaCon 13, I can attest that great ideas
came not just from the planned events of each day but also from the informal
social gatherings in the evenings. I also learned a lot more in those seven
days interacting with all of the excellent attendees than I ever would have
from simply surfing Koha info on the Web.

An Ohio hack fest is an awesome idea. What can we do to help?

Plum Creek is willing to aid in the effort to get us together again as often
as possible. I don't think a formal non-profit organization is needed in the
short term to just get us together under one roof.

I truly believe open source and Koha are the future of library automation
worldwide and I am always willing to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for
Koha with anyone willing to listen.

Thanks,

Joel Sasse
Network Systems Administrator