[Koha] CCSR and PROG

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Nov 5 04:32:19 NZDT 2013

> However, that brings up a longstanding confusion:  when to use
> opaccolorstylesheet vs. opaclayoutstylesheet vs. OPACUserCSS?

This depends mostly on how much customization you want to do.

If you specify something different for opaclayoutstylesheet the
default OPAC CSS will not be included. Your custom stylesheet will
have to include a full reimplementation of the OPAC's design.

If you specify something for opaccolorstylesheet it will be included
after (and thus can override) opaclayoutstylesheet. This is usually
the way I would recommend users add customizations to their OPAC.

OPACUserCSS is useful if you cannot save your CSS customizations to a
file on a server somewhere. The contents of OPACUserCSS are included
inline on every page in the OPAC, so it's less efficient (won't be
cached by users' browsers) but will easily override anything in
opaclayoutstylesheet or opaccolorstylesheet.

The CCSR theme is a weird case because it repurposes the
opaccolorstylesheet preference for its own purposes, the the detriment
of those who want to customize. This means that if you want to take
advantage of the added efficiency of using the opaccolorstylesheet
preference you'll need to copy the contents of CCSR's default
colors.css into your custom stylesheet and add your own customizations
after that.

Or you can do it all in OPACUserCSS. I don't recommend messing with
opaclayoutstylesheet.

I hope that makes sense.

  -- Owen

--