[Koha] Live DVD (Was: Master-password (katikoan) and Live-DVD

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Thu May 23 00:12:13 NZST 2013

I agree with Vimal, based on my own experience. I've been using computers since 1978 (very basic BASIC programming on a PDP 11/40), I got my first PC in 1988, got on the Internet around 1990, build my own computers, and have my own home network with two NAS units in the basement. Computers are not entirely a mystery to me, but even the most generous person around would not call me a Linux expert. Live DVD let me set up a demo Koha system in two days. Now I'm designing our production version based on Live DVD. I say "based" because I'm updating and upgrading as needed--I upgraded my Live DVD test system to version 3.10.5, and then to 3.12. Needless to say, I'm going to change the default passwords before going live (yes, I've read Cliff Stoll's book The Cuckoo's Egg). Also, our system is behind a hospital firewall, which adds another layer of security.

Eventually I'll be confident enough to install from packages, but I need to find my way around first. Live DVD lets me do that. I wouldn't recommend it for a multi-library system with thousands of checkouts per hour, but for a small library, I think it's admirable.

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

-----Original Message-----
From: koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz [mailto:koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz] On Behalf Of Vimal Kumar V.
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:14 AM
To: Koha-List
Subject: Re: [Koha] Live DVD (Was: Master-password (katikoan) and Live-DVD

Dear Friends,

Developers / Linux techies view point manual installation is easy and
convenient.

In the case of  a library professional, they have no Linux experience.
They need to familiar with Linux desktop. Live DVD can provide
familiarization.
It give more confidence in them. Later they can learn ABCD's of Linux and
Koha maintenance.
Small libraries can run Koha with the help of Koha Live DVD. When
collection grows more,
they can opt manual installation.
Libraries with big collection can go for servers and manual installation.

Regards,

--
Vimal Kumar V.
Mahatma Gandhi University Library
CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments, may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed. The information contained in this communication may also
be protected by legal privilege, federal law or other applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank
you.