[Koha] Live DVD (Was: Master-password (katikoan) and Live-DVD

Mirko 5p4m at gmx.de
Wed May 22 18:53:10 NZST 2013

Vimal,

I tend to disagree. From what I get from people on mailing lists
that use the DVD is
- »I don't know anything about Linux«
- »I don't have time to learn«
- »I want to run the system without basic knowledge about it«

Of course I do understand that librarians have other things to do
than learn GNU/Linux. With proprietary software they would pay a
company for support. That is an option for Koha too if there is
nobody in-house. The problem is that there is a general
misconception about Free and Open Source Software: it is free as in
freedom, but using it is not free of cost: either you spend time
learning or you spend money on somebody who knows about it.

Vimal Kumar V. schrieb am 22.05.2013
> In the case of  a library professional, they have no Linux experience.
> They need to familiar with Linux desktop. Live DVD can provide
> familiarization.

There is no need at all to use the »Linux desktop« to run Koha.
Servers are usually run headless, meaning no graphical user
interface, just a command line.

> It give more confidence in them. Later they can learn ABCD's of Linux and
> Koha maintenance.

I don't think this is neccessarily true. I am under the impression
that the DVD is used to actively avoid learning and it is never
going to happen once a library decided to use the DVD in production.

> Small libraries can run Koha with the help of Koha Live DVD. When
> collection grows more,
> they can opt manual installation.
> Libraries with big collection can go for servers and manual installation.

I do not understand what the size of the collection has to do with
the way Koha is installed. Even a small library with a tiny
collection should use the best Koha possible in production… and that
is not a Live DVD.

I think this is very misleading and I really hope this (»small-> DVD
/ big->real installation«) is not the way you are going to promote
the Live DVD. I strongly object to this statement and I do not think
that it has wide support within the community.

As far as I remember, when you ran for Live DVD manager you talked
about using the DVD to learn about and test Koha and not use it in
production. I consider it very dangerous that you promote that now
and I did definitely not vote for that when I voted for you as Live
DVD manager.

-- Mirko