[Koha] Unable to log in as Koha admin

gmcgath developer at mcgath.com
Wed Jun 12 09:54:02 NZST 2013

I've installed an experimental instance (called "kohalib") of Koha (3.12) on
an Ubuntu/Debian system. I went by the information at
(http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Debian#Initial_Configuration), which
may be out of date, since I had to follow up with a lot of hand
configuration to get things right. I finally got to the point of being able
to bring up the admin page in my browser. The prompt on the admin login
says: "Welcome to the Koha web installer ... Please log in with the username
and password given to you by your systems administrator and located in your
koha-conf.xml configuration file."

The only username in /etc/koha/sites/kohalib/koha-conf.xml is kohauser,
which occurs four times, none identified as administrative, and all have the
same computer-generated password. When I try to log in with it, the same
page just comes up again. There's no error message. Doing some searches
suggests there should be an administrative user called kohaadmin with a
password of "katikoan" by default. That doesn't work either.

The setup may simply have failed to set up an admin user at all. If so, is
there a way for me to fix this? I may be so deep into hand corrections that
I should just start over again, but in that case is there a better set of
instructions for installation?