[Koha] Slow checkout times in 3.12 solved, sort of

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Wed Jun 12 06:42:26 NZST 2013

Our library went live with Koha 3.12 for staff (all five of us) earlier today. (Cue the popping champagne corks.) We're going to wait to roll out the OPAC in a couple of weeks, when the new residents officially start and the hospital's fiscal year begins.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message that Koha was taking thirty seconds for each transaction. I managed to fix the problem, but I'm not sure how. Here are the details for anyone interested:

The system I was working on was one I built from Koha Live DVD 3.10, then upgraded to 3.10.5, then 3.12 by using sudo apt-get upgrade. Something in the 3.12 upgrade caused the problem.

I also tried building an Xubuntu system and installing Koha from packages. Same problem--each checkout was taking 30 seconds. Nothing else was affected: searching, checkins, etc., were all working perfectly.

The same problem happened with the Koha Live DVD 3.12.

By this time I was ready to go with a 3.10.5 system, but then Robin Sheat posted the new packages. (Thanks Robin!!) I tried upgrading a clone of my 3.10.5 system, and it worked perfectly. Upgrading the other 3.12 test systems I had did NOT work. I think it's because the upgrade only installed libmodule-bundled-files-perl on the 3.10.5 system. I'm not going to see if I can replicate my results because I'm tired of installing and want to start USING Koha. And I have four people to train. If anyone wants to investigate further, I'll provide any information I can remember.

On the plus side, I've set up Koha so many times now that I can configure a basic system in a couple of hours. :-)

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments, may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed. The information contained in this communication may also
be protected by legal privilege, federal law or other applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank
you.