[Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Jul 9 05:28:52 NZST 2013

Just curious as to why you would want to put these in a separate instance
of Koha.  Seems like a lot of unnecessary effort.  Perhaps you should make
a collection code "Local Authors" or whatever you want to call it.  You can
search on collection code in advanced search if you want to limit the
results. You could also, depending on the size of this collection, build a
public list of the applicable records.  Perhaps even subdivided by subject.
 I would use the first 500 field to differentiate between the various types
of articles, case reports, etc. within the collection. Or if you want to be
able to search more specifically, then create more item types.  One of the
beauties of Koha is that you can include all sorts of material in the same
catalogue.  Coming from a system where we have different indexes for
different formats, we find that being able to search across a variety of
media at once much more useful.
Elaine

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM, King, Fred <Fred.King at medstar.net> wrote:

> Hello Alice, and everyone,
>
> Funny you should bring this up. I was planning to bring it up myself a
> while later after we got our system running smoothly, but this seems like a
> good time since we're not the only ones interested in this kind of a
> project.
>
> A few years ago, we started Authors' Day, a celebration of Hospital Center
> associates who have written articles, book chapters, etc. Last year, we
> started tracking the articles in Reference Manager so we could analyze the
> data a bit more, and include subject headings, etc., in the citations. The
> next step is to put the data into Koha to make it widely and easily
> accessible to anyone on the hospital network. Who knows? Someday we might
> be able to make it available outside our firewall as well.
>
> My idea is to install a second instance of Koha on our server (I did it
> already on a test system, so that's not a major problem) and use it
> exclusively for local authors. Just about everything our associates publish
> is in Medline, so one of the things we're pondering is how to convert MeSH
> to MARC. Like Alice, we've looked at analytics and we don't think that's
> the solution.
>
> Some of the other things we're considering include:
> * We're only interested in indexing local authors, but we ought to include
> the non-local co-authors in the record.
> * We want to differentiate between journal article, book, chapter, etc.
> Maybe Item Types?
> * There's also the consideration of what kind of journal article--case
> report, letter, randomized controlled trial, etc. Maybe Collection Code?
> * Right now we're indexing articles from three MedStar divisions, but
> eventually we'd consider adding other hospitals. Different branches?
> * We also want to include departmental affiliation.
>
> So I guess my question is, has anyone else done something like this? Can
> anyone offer any pointers?
>
> BTW, the actual conversion of one set of tags to another is not all that
> difficult. I found a program called Replace Text that you can set up to
> look for every instance of xxx and convert it to yyy, for multiple values
> of xxx and yyy. I'm sure there are others.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred King
> Medical Librarian, MedStar Washington Hospital Center
> fred.king at medstar.net
> 202-877-6221

> Subject: [Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles
> From:    "Alice Esguerra" <kaces08 at gmail.com>
> Date:    Mon, July 8, 2013 12:33 am
> To:      koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> We are new with Koha, we started 2 years ago with Koha 2.9 and recently
> migrated to Koha 3.12 (May of this year).
>
> My concern is about our periodical indexes. We have manually encoded about
> 1000 records of indexes to journal and magazine articles. I'd like to
> create a MARC framework for this. Can somebody please help us as to what
> [...]

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)