[Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Tue Jul 9 01:43:56 NZST 2013

Hello Alice, and everyone,

Funny you should bring this up. I was planning to bring it up myself a while later after we got our system running smoothly, but this seems like a good time since we're not the only ones interested in this kind of a project.

A few years ago, we started Authors' Day, a celebration of Hospital Center associates who have written articles, book chapters, etc. Last year, we started tracking the articles in Reference Manager so we could analyze the data a bit more, and include subject headings, etc., in the citations. The next step is to put the data into Koha to make it widely and easily accessible to anyone on the hospital network. Who knows? Someday we might be able to make it available outside our firewall as well.

My idea is to install a second instance of Koha on our server (I did it already on a test system, so that's not a major problem) and use it exclusively for local authors. Just about everything our associates publish is in Medline, so one of the things we're pondering is how to convert MeSH to MARC. Like Alice, we've looked at analytics and we don't think that's the solution.

Some of the other things we're considering include:
* We're only interested in indexing local authors, but we ought to include the non-local co-authors in the record.
* We want to differentiate between journal article, book, chapter, etc. Maybe Item Types?
* There's also the consideration of what kind of journal article--case report, letter, randomized controlled trial, etc. Maybe Collection Code?
* Right now we're indexing articles from three MedStar divisions, but eventually we'd consider adding other hospitals. Different branches?
* We also want to include departmental affiliation.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else done something like this? Can anyone offer any pointers?

BTW, the actual conversion of one set of tags to another is not all that difficult. I found a program called Replace Text that you can set up to look for every instance of xxx and convert it to yyy, for multiple values of xxx and yyy. I'm sure there are others.

Cheers,

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

Subject: [Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles
From:    "Alice Esguerra" <kaces08 at gmail.com>
Date:    Mon, July 8, 2013 12:33 am
To:      koha at lists.katipo.co.nz

Hello everyone,

We are new with Koha, we started 2 years ago with Koha 2.9 and recently
migrated to Koha 3.12 (May of this year).

My concern is about our periodical indexes. We have manually encoded about
1000 records of indexes to journal and magazine articles. I'd like to
create a MARC framework for this. Can somebody please help us as to what
MARC tags to use for the framework? I have seen the discussion about
"Analytics" but I don't think this is applicable to us because we only
prepared records for the "component articles" while the "parent or host
item" (for journals) were not recorded in our OPAC. Our objective is to
make a simple framework that is searchable and wouldn't have any conflict
with the MARC rules.

We really hope to hear from you. Thank you in advance!

alice

--
Alicia C. Esguerra
Associate Professor I/ Librarian

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments, may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed. The information contained in this communication may also
be protected by legal privilege, federal law or other applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank
you.