[Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Jul 9 05:12:49 NZST 2013

There is an existing articles framework  here
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/MARC_frameworks#RDA_Framework that you
can edit to suit your needs.

I found exporting and editing it outside of Koha a lot easier than doing it
on the site.

We have imported nearly 11,000  records for articles into our Koha
catalogue.
The first 500 note explains in plain text what it is.
We used a 534 for the publication information for reproductions (digitized
versions, etc.) and the 773 is also filled in, with a link to the host item
(Journal) where applicable.  The host items (records for the actual journal
titles) have not yet been uploaded.

Book chapters were done in a similar way with a different item type, the
773 leading to the book itself.

For entering new records, it is also possible to build a template record
that you hide from the OPAC and that would include standard pre-filled
fields.  We do that for the assemblages and their component items.  It
helps maintain consistency.   To add a new record using a template, you
duplicate the template and edit it.

Elaine

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Alice Esguerra <kaces08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We are new with Koha, we started 2 years ago with Koha 2.9 and recently
> migrated to Koha 3.12 (May of this year).
>
> My concern is about our periodical indexes. We have manually encoded about
> 1000 records of indexes to journal and magazine articles. I'd like to
> create a MARC framework for this. Can somebody please help us as to what
> MARC tags to use for the framework? I have seen the discussion about
> "Analytics" but I don't think this is applicable to us because we only
> prepared records for the "component articles" while the "parent or host
> item" (for journals) were not recorded in our OPAC. Our objective is to
> make a simple framework that is searchable and wouldn't have any conflict
> with the MARC rules.
>
> We really hope to hear from you. Thank you in advance!
>
> alice
>

> --
> Alicia C. Esguerra
> Associate Professor I/ Librarian
> Bulacan State University
> City of Malolos, Bulacan 3000
> Philippines
> +63 044 7961417
> www.bulsu.edu.ph

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)