[Koha] Thoughts on volunteering

Manny Tamayao manny_tamayao at sil.org
Thu Jul 4 13:37:03 NZST 2013

Good day Jared and to all volunteers,

In Filipino saying "Maraming Salamat" (Thank you very much).

Manny

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:34:32 -0400
From: Jared Camins-Esakov <jcamins at cpbibliography.com>
To: Koha <koha at lists.katipo.co.nz>
Subject: [Koha] Thoughts on volunteering

Greetings, fellow members of the Koha community,

My name is Jared Camins-Esakov. There are two reasons that name might sound
familiar. The first is that in my day job I do a lot of work with Koha
(hosting, support, bespoke development, and all that jazz). The second is
that just over a month ago I finished my term as Release Manager for Koha
3.12. I am very proud of what we did during my six month term. Koha has more
features and works better for more libraries than ever before. I think
that's a big deal. During those six months, I spent a lot of time working on
Koha, as my wife can attest. I think I could count on my fingers the number
of days in the entire release cycle (more than six months!) that I didn't do
_anything_ related to the Koha release. I did this because I believe that
Koha is important, and a better Koha is better for all of us.
>From a business point of view, volunteering my time was a good
>investment
because I am now selling and supporting a better system.

But you know what? I don't expect to be paid for all that time I spent
volunteering my time for the community. Volunteering my time to build Koha
3.12 was its own (sometimes frustrating) reward. That's what Open Source is
all about*, and I am proud to be a member of a community that understands
this.

Regards,
Jared Camins-Esakov

*Not to say that you can't or shouldn't make money from working on Open
Source projects. I believe strongly that you can and should (and, of course,
my company does), but contributing to an Open Source project like Koha is
about more than just money.

P.S. Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone in the Koha
community to take a moment to thank your friends and family for sharing you
with us.

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/

End of Koha Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5