[Koha] problems with the patron card creation (non-latin characters)

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Jan 24 04:09:07 NZDT 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Haik Zargaryan <haikzargaryan at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to create cards for our patrons. Yet, when I export the batch
> instead of the 'names' and 'surnames' some strange characters are
> retrieved.
> For example,
> ----
>
> Name: Ô±Õ¢Ö€Õ¡Õ°Õ¡Õ´ÕμÕ¡Õ¶ Ô¶Õ¾Õ¡Ö€Õ© ÕŽÕ¡Õ¦Õ£Õ¥Õ¶Õ«
>
> ----
> Maybe this is because the language is Armenian (a non-Latin script)? With
> the English names everything works fine. This is a very important issue for
> our library. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

This is most likely related to the issues of UTF-8 and PDF. It has been
discussed extensively on this list, so I will not rehearse it here except
to say that it will most likely not be fixed due to the complexity of the
issue. Some work has been done toward using css and the browser to handle
card and label printing. Probably that is the best hope for a fix at this
point.

Kind Regards,
Chris