[Koha] Server slowness during reindexing

Heather Braum (NEKLS) hbraum at nekls.org
Sat Aug 10 05:51:14 NZST 2013

Our system comes to a full stop for about 25-45 seconds every ten minutes.
I have been told in the past this is the fast reindexer process, but I
don’t remember our system doing this in previous Koha versions before we
were upgraded to 3.10 (3.10.5) in May. Does anyone else see this type of
behavior?

This full system stop was originally happening at the :x0 (:10, :20, :30,
:40, :50, :00) minute mark beginning in early July after we were moved to a
new, powerful server, and has slowly regressed to happening (currently) at
the x7 (:07, :17:, :27:, :37, :47, :57) minute marks.

The behavior is the following:

The system will be working fine, and then all of a sudden a new page you’re
trying to load will sit and wait to load for 25-45 seconds before finally
I am constantly pulling up pages with records, and the system is instantly
responsive the other 9 minutes of the 10 minutes.

I do not think the system is supposed to be responding with this behavior.
Has anyone else seen behavior like this? Does anyone have any ideas as to
what is going on?

Thanks,
Heather Braum
Digital and Technical Services Librarian
Northeast Kansas Library System
hbraum at nekls.org

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those cannot read
and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin
Toffler, *Rethinking the Future*