[Koha] Some questions on importing authorities

Manos PETRIDIS egpetridis at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 01:32:48 NZST 2013

Having
found recent copies of the greek standard terms (they're in http://www.nlg.gr/www/el/node/56
), I'm looking into the matter of importing them into koha (v3.08.16).

I understand that this is something done from the command line only, I have
some questions though on the process:
a) Is it
critical to use some specific operating system user, as in the case of Zebra
rebuilds?
b) Are
ISO2709 authorities files MARC-flavour agnostic in general? Can the same file
be used in MARC21 and UNIMARC?
c) Are ISO2709
authorities files encoding agnostic in general? Need one specify the encoding used
during import?
d) If the
import is performed twice (either using the same file, or using successive versions
from the same source, as in the case of NLG), will we end-up having multiple
identical entries?
e) Are
there any specific system preferences that one should check/modify prior to import?

For the
curious/adventurous, here are two automatic translations of the page mentioned
above:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=el&sl=el&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nlg.gr%2Fwww%2Fel%2Fnode%2F56
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=el&to=en&a=http://www.nlg.gr/www/el/node/56

The files