[Koha] 3.8.4 staff main page

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Sat Sep 15 02:00:29 NZST 2012

At 06:48 PM 9/14/2012 +0800, Mark Tompsett wrote:
>Greetings,
>>The first staff page in 3.8.4 after logging in has a tabbed search box
>>at the top that "defaults" to patron check [out]s - our staff has
>>asked me to change this to the fourth/last tab "catalogue" as they
>>cannot find a "preference" anywhere.
>And this is why a git installation for testing and development would be
>very helpful. You could develop a patch for changing the default ordering
>of the tab in the header_search div, which could be of use to the community.

Mark - many tnx - but this is for our *production* server which I am
planning to upgrade this weekend. Git is not an option, as I handle nearly
half a million items in production.

>>Does anyone happen to know where the code for this might be found. I had a
>>quick, unsuccessful, look around with firebug, so it would be most helpful
>>if someone could point me towards the relevant perl or template file.
>
>The recommended way is to USE JQUERY (javascript). This upgrades with ease
>if done properly.
>Do not modify the perl/template files! This sets you up for an upgrade
>headache.

I'm down to the last few details after full review of 3.8.4 by our
staff.  The roll-out of Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on our production servers
(primary and backup) will take place Saturday night (complete reinstall on
new solid state drives) which means that I either have to reinstall Koha
3.6.1 or 3.8.4. At this point the staff main page is the sole remaining
concern; I've already corrected (to staff's liking) all the cosmetics
(mostly changing "images" back to plain text and adding our own logos,
links, etc) and rewritten the perl for barcodes, call numbers, etc, to
respect continuity with our internal systems (linked to another MySQL db.)

So again, it would be most helpful if you could please "point me in the
right direction" to the jquery, template or perl so I can recode the
default. I take full responsibility for upgrade "headaches", but have to
live with my staff who insist on this mod (I've just come from a meeting
with them.) N.B. This is not a "bug" nor a "request for improvement" at
Koha Community level.

Background: Our policy is to "upgrade" as rarely as possible (barring
security concerns, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it") so the headaches (if
I do my job properly now) will not reappear for 12 months as our policy is
more of an LTS approach in production (I can still play on the sandbox,
time permitting.) After 3.2 and 3.4 (mostly pre-production), we have had
3.6.1 in production for 11 months now -- staff like it and are telling me
not to upgrade to things they find less productive.

Best regards - Paul

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>