[Koha] Improving the advanced search form

Srikanth Dhondi srikanth at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Oct 25 14:55:31 NZDT 2012

Hi there,

I am currently working on improving accessibility of koha opac site with
our accessibility expert.
One of the things we noticed is that the advanced search option is not
only confusing for blind
users but also even for normal users.

I have noticed the following issues with it:

1) By default the Fewer Options option is selected, which is not obvious
to the normal users until they click on More Options.

2) The layout could be a lot better, in particular the Fewer Options
search form is quite abstract in what it does.

For example, the default boolean operator is AND which is not obvious to
even normal user.

In my opinion, layout similar to the one
http://kea.massey.ac.nz/search/X, is better.

Looking forward to your comments/feedback.

Srikanth