[Koha] cataloging files stored locally

Amy Schuler schulera at caryinstitute.org
Sat Nov 17 11:08:12 NZDT 2012

Dear catalogers using Koha,

I am using koha v. 3.06.04.000.  I am having trouble getting file paths to work for digital items stored locally.  Using MARC Tag 856, first indicator value 4, $u, with file path something like file://mylocalserver/blahblah<file:///\\mylocalserver\blahblah>... does not work.  There is just no action in the browser whatsoever.  It seems this is because that tagging and indicator combination invoke the HTTP protocol which is not actually being used here.  I read in the MARC documentation that what I really want to use for locally stored files is first indicator value 7 and $2.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Koha supports $2 (only a bunch of the letter subfields).

Has anyone figured this out?  Or feel free to point out other issues I may be overlooking.

Thanks!

Amy C. Schuler
Director, Information Services & Library
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
PO Box AB, 2801 Sharon Turnpike
Millbrook, New York, 12545
schulera at caryinstitute.org<mailto:schulera at caryinstitute.org>