[Koha] Barcodes with leading zeros and spaces

Steve Campbell stephen.t.campbell at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu May 31 05:35:25 NZST 2012

Hi, Lori,

We had a similar barcode problem. Our library has two different barcode patterns, and we needed a way to canonicalize them for Koha.

Our solution was to buy a new optical scanner that was programmable. For under US$200 we purchased a Symbol LS2208 barcode scanner. It supports a programming capability called Advanced Data Formatting. You can program the scanner to recognize certain character strings, for example "p 000" and either scan or skip following characters. There is almost no limit to what you can program the thing to handle. Now Koha never "sees" the barcode variants. The new scanner is also more sensitive and accurate than our old one.

Steve Campbell
Converse Free Library
Lyme, New Hampshire, US