[Koha] Use of Google Analytics and +1 on Koha website

Adams, Jason JAdams at washoecounty.us
Sun May 27 08:36:43 NZST 2012

I've had similar concerns -- not just with Koha (and its website) or
Google specifically -- but with the way libraries "collect" user info
online (via their website or online catalog/database - Koha or not) even
if the info is just a card number and password.  A lot of libraries have
privacy policies stating what's being done and NOT done with patron
information, but it's disingenuous to say that no one else has access to
patron data when we're indeed using Google Analytics to collect
statistical information, etc.  Google Analytics aggregates the IP
address along with web history, key words, page visits, browsers used,
screen resolution, and other data about the patrons. With an unsecure
connection (https, anyone?) this unencrypted data can easily be gathered
by keystroke logging software/hardware or a hacker with a little
know-how.  Without pointing fingers, I think "we" (in general) need to
be a little more careful with the apps, websites, databases, catalogs,
software, etc. that we're creating and using.