[Koha] Koha 3.8.1 'zebra searching' failure

Kate Jones kate.garnwen at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jun 18 03:06:03 NZST 2012

Hi, our Koha at the Library of National Botanic Garden of Wales has been
working with no problems for over 2 years.   The system has been run,
maintained, backed up etc on a local server by Library volunteers who
have no IT background, and with no tech support.    Installed by us,
using kohalivecd, and running in Ubuntu.

The company who provide IT support for the Garden's network and servers
have finally agreed to take on tech support for the Library, so we
offered them our complete and up-to-date back up files, but they have
instead chosen to migrate the system themselves and have installed Koha
3.8.1 on a new server.  I am not aware which version of Linux they are
using.

So far, so good... BUT the Zebra searching isn't working, in fact it's
not clear that Zebra is there at all, but when I tried switching
'NoZebra' so as not to use Zebra, it still didn't work.  In addition,
the Z39.50 searching isn't working either.

I have now asked the IT people to switch us back to our old system while
they sort it out, which they've done, so at least we now do have a
functioning Koha again, but wonder if anyone out there in the Koha
community has had any problems with 3.8.1 and Zebra, or can suggest
something for me to pass on to the Tech Support company.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Kate Jones
(Volunteer librarian, National Botanic Garden of Wales)