[Koha] kohaadmin password change

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sun Aug 19 21:46:18 NZST 2012

On 19 August 2012 21:35, Manos Petridis <egpetridis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chris for your reply. I guess there must have been some pressing need to present both MySQL users and koha users in the same interface/list.

Yes, you need one user to be able to login to create a new one. It's
only one mysql user btw.

> I understand the concept of creating a 2nd super-user and perform any operations from that profile; in fact I had already created such a user so that I could get myself out of trouble should I forget/mistype the kohaadmin pass.
>
> I suppose I'll have to log-in to MySQL with the new pass (or as a root) and change the kohaadmin pass back to the previous value.

O you could just edit the koha-conf.xml file that has the password in it.

> Two more notes to be added to my wishlist:
> a) There ought to be a clear way to change the kohaadmin password nevertheless, for what good is a password for, if it is known by everyone?

Why on earth would you tell everyone the mysql user password?
Nevertheless there is, change it in mysql, like you would any other
mysql user, and edit the koha-conf.xml to match.

> b) There should be a warning when someone - with the proper rights - tries to change the kohaadmin password via the administrative interface. Then again it may well be a joke on koha newbies and such a warning would spoil the fun ;-)
> kind regards,

The kohaadmin user (or whatever name, it doesn't need to be that) is
not a real user and should not ever be used as such. There is a patch
awaiting sign off to try to stop people logging in as the mysql user.

More patches are always welcome of course.

Chris