[Koha] Stable vs maintenance releases?

Cab Vinton bibliwho at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:19:58 NZST 2012

Can someone explain the difference between these two?

http://download.koha-community.org/ lists these as 3.8.3 (stable) and
3.6.7 (maintenance) ...

I would have thought that a maintenance release is done "on top of" a
stable release, comprising minor bug fixes and the like.

And how is it determined what the latest "stable" release is? I notice
that Equinox's support page is still listing 3.4.1 as the current
stable version. Is this something that varies from support company to
support company, depending on their confidence in a particular
release, their philosophy of development, etc?

With thanks,

Cab Vinton, Director
Sanbornton Public Library
Sanbornton, NH