[Koha] Call for papers for Kohacon12

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Apr 2 22:18:44 NZST 2012

Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
> Before submitting something, I'd like to know what kind of audience do
> we expect to have ? Will/should it be librarians that knows nothing
> about Koha and will be happy to have a demo ? Will/should it be
> librarians that already use or know Koha ? Will/should they be happy to
> have some technical talks like "Koha and CAS-LDAP-Shibboleth" or
> will/should they prefer non technical talks ?
>
> Overall: do we have an idea of the kind of talks they would like to have ?

I'm expecting a mixed developer-librarian audience like kohacon10
(can't speak for 11 because I don't remember the reports well).

I would suggest demos should be hackfest day 1, rather than
conference, but I may try to leave a possible slot on conference day 3
in case there is interest in them and we're not overloaded with papers.

I suspect librarians will have seen Koha thanks to the liveDVD, the
virtual machines and demos, but probably only some will have used it
in anger.

Keep conference talks at least 50% non-technical, I think, so as not
to bore part of the audience too much.  The paper reviewers may have
other suggestions.  Hackfest can be 100% tech if you like.

There was a call for themes (I think it was in the newsletter a while
ago) which suggested the topics highlighted in the Call for Papers:
archives/special libraries using Koha; Resource Description
Framework/Semantic Web/Linked Data; and the Koha packages.

Hope that helps,