[Koha] Koha and Third-Party commercial services

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Nov 6 07:55:54 NZDT 2011

* Mirko (5p4m at gmx.de) wrote:
> I think Ian has a valid point here, you are definitely not paranoid.
> It is a concern to me too and I like the quarantine approach Chris
> has offered.
>
> There are a lot of services integrated already and personally I wish
> to keep all the snoopy data gatherers like Amazon, Google etc. out
> of my library and away from my patrons. Their omnipresence in the
> WWW is scary enough as it is, I don't want to assist them in any way.
>
> I think some kind of guidelines should be set up making sure that
> third party services don't get to mess with integral parts of Koha,
> that no other developments get 'harmed' by new code for something
> that only a certain group of people will use (this would be
> prevented by Koha quality control anyway) and that those who do not
> want to use a service don't have extra work (like disabling new
> third party features in a new version).
>
> C4::ExternalServices approach sounds good to me and I strongly
> favour keeping extra database fields in extra tables dedicated to
> the service, so Koha core does not get cluttered with extra fields
> for Facebook, Google and whatnot.

I agree, the quarantine idea is a good approach. As most of you know I
am not a huge fan of proprietary software in any shape, way or form.
I would like us to try integrate with free software tools where we
can, like Piwik instead of google analytics, identi.ca instead of
twitter and many others. (commercial doesnt worry me, theres nothing
wrong with that, its proprietary software I dont like).

But if we do have to deal with proprietary software, it must be in a
quarantined and safe way.

Just my 2 cents

Chris

--