[Koha] Trapped Holds = No Holds Allowed

Lesley Kimball wigginml at comcast.net
Wed May 18 09:46:23 NZST 2011

Hi everyone,

  We've only been using production mode since late April and today we
"discovered" a strange phenomenon.  Titles that we only have 1 copy/item of
that have the status of being a trapped hold (waiting), show as "no holds
allowed" when you search for them in a general way that produces a list of
records (as opposed to searching for it by barcode).  So, if the item
"Uncoupling" by Meg Wolitzer (which we only own one copy of) is trapped &
waiting to be picked up, if we do a search in either the staff client or the
OPAC for "Wolitzer" -- a list of her books comes up and each one has the
link below it to place a hold except for the one that is trapped
(Uncoupling) and that one says "no holds allowed".  You can place a hold on
it in other ways (through checking the box and then clicking place hold, or
in staff client by bringing up the item and placing a hold directly).  So,
we can get around it, but it is unlikely that most of our patrons using the
OPAC will go any farther than seeing "no holds allowed."

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Lesley Kimball

You see, I don't believe that libraries should be
drab places where people sit in silence, and that's
been the main reason for our policy of employing
wild animals as librarians.
   -- Monty Python, "Gorilla Librarian" sketch
Lesley Kimball
Director
Wiggin Memorial Library
Stratham, NH
 <mailto:Director at WigginML.org> Director at WigginML.org