[Koha] Fwd: Access to British Library Z39.50 servers

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri Mar 11 02:51:30 NZDT 2011

We use some BL records in our catalogue.  I e-mailed them explaining
our interest and proposed use and they signed us up for the MARC21
service. It is my understanding that they don't want someone skimming
their data and reselling it. Nor do they want bulk Z39.50 queries. But
as we were not planning to do either, they gave us access.  It doesn't
hurt to contact them and ask about your particular situation, I found
them helpful. We also use Oxford's server, especially for some of the
older stuff in our collection.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Bob Ewart <bob-ewart at bobsown.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 04:42 AM, MJ Ray wrote:
>> Bob Ewart wrote:
>>> The British Library server mentioned below (Z3950cat.bl.uk) returns
>>> SUTRS syntax not MARC.
>>
>> Some libraries can register for an account which can get MARC21, but
>> it has an anti-social non-commercial restriction which has
>> implications if you ever want to share your records.
>> http://www.bl.uk/bibliographic/data.html
>>
>> BL is making some data available as Open Bibliographic Data (which
>> we endorse http://openbiblio.net/principles/endorse/ ) so hopefully
>> that will change in the future.
>>
>> Hope that informs,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Their non-sharing restriction probably means that setting up a Z3950
> server would be out.
>
> I'm wondering about the MARC display available under OPAC. I'm guessing
> that would probably not get them too upset.
>
> I've found most of our books from AMICUS or the Library of Congress.
> Occasionally I've had to go to the Oxford library.
>
> AMICUS (amicus.collectionscanada.gc.ca, port 210, database ANY) does
> require registration.  A lot of British books are in their database. Go
> to http://amicus.collectionscanada.gc.ca/amicus-bin/self_register?l=0
> to register.
>
> --
> Bob