[Koha] 3m self-checkout machines and Koha

Liz Rea lrea at nekls.org
Wed Mar 9 15:53:13 NZDT 2011

2011/3/8 Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:
> Hi James,
> I don't think it matters which 3M model of self check you use because they
> all rely on SIP. The 3M and Koha implementations of SIP are all worked out
> and there are several libraries using their self-checks.  Not e-commerce,
> just the self-check.
> FYI, Tech-Logic and ITG also have Koha libraries using their self-check
> machines, also via SIP.
> Lori
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, James, Mason <mason at kohaaloha.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi Folks
>>
>> are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines
>>
>> if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well
>>

>> cheers, Mason
>> --
>> KohaAloha, NZ

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
> The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
> (707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com
> Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID, filtering,
> workflow optimization, and materials handling

NEKLS is using 3M self check machines. We have really only one minor
problem, mostly they work well.

Problems we see (and this may be totally a matter of library preference):
items with holds aren't allowed to check out if the patron has the
book in their hand (i.e. they got a book off of the shelf that some
off-site patron had placed a hold on before a librarian got to it to
pick it). That's really all I've got for right now. It used to be that
things like Pokémon and books about Resumé's wouldn't check out, but I
believe this has been fixed (much to our squeeing excitement).

We also have 3M checkin chutes, with similarly trivial problems
surrounding holds.

SIP has come a long way in the 3 years we've been on Koha.

Now, to make it work very well with Envisionware.... ;)

Liz Rea
NEKLS