[Koha] Please use "New Message" for new topics, not "Reply", was: Collection Performance

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Jan 30 14:58:58 NZDT 2011

Hal Bright wrote: (in another thread)
> Koha has so many data points to allow collection analysis from so
> many different directions.  What are some of the unusual ways you
> use these data points for collection analysis.  Right now I have 6
> months of Koha data.  I use weeding reports.  Are there other ways
> to use Koha data to measure collection performance in a high
> circulating collection

but the above appeared in the "Bulk Item Modification" thread.
I think the email was written by pressing "Reply..." in an email
program, even though it wasn't a reply.

Most email software remembers where the reply command was used and
includes metadata that explains that the new email is a reply to
another message.  That then helps people to sort their email and it
helps the "web forum" versions of our discussion to work properly.

But a few people on this list last week seemed to be starting new
topics by using "Reply..."  on unrelated emails, which means that the
new email gets attached to a thread on a different topic, fewer
readers will see the email, and any questions are less likely to be
answered.  For example, the above email appears on the end of
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Bulk-Item-Modification-Assinging-Branch-Codes-td3361228.html
which isn't a good place for it.

This should be a cataloguing-friendly list, so come on, let's use
metadata properly!  Please use "Reply..."  only for replies to an
email and "New Mail..."  for starting new topics on the list.  (If you
have "List Reply..." and "List Post..."  commands, so much the
better!)

Thanks,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha