[Koha] collection vs item types

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Tue Jan 25 11:42:23 NZDT 2011

Hi Rachel,

We have gone the other way: many item types and few collections. This is a
post I wrote at the time when I was trying to decide how best to use item
types and colelction codes.

http://library-matters.blogspot.com/2009/03/dont-be-afraid-of-using-lots-of-item.html

Cheers Jo.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:

> > The OPAC currently lists item
> > type only so we assume we should actually use this to identify different
> > collections.
>
> The most important factor to consider is that at the moment item types
> can be used to set circulation policies and collection codes cannot.
> Other than that they're fairly interchangeable. You can set the
> "AdvancedSearchTypes" system preference to show either item types or
> collection code on the advanced search page.
>
> Because circulation policies can be set per item type we have set up a
> few general item types for circ rules: circulating, videos and DVDs,
> audio books, and non-circulating. Then we have a lot of collection
> codes which we use to classify various combinations of audience,
> material, and genre.
>
> As log as you're giving your patrons and staff the right categories to
> narrow their searches and you've got the circulation policies in place
> that you need, there's not a wrong way to do it.
>
>  -- Owen
>
> --
> Web Developer
> Athens County Public Libraries
> http://www.myacpl.org

Joann Ransom RLIANZA
Head of Libraries,
Horowhenua Library Trust.

*Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?
A: http://three.sentenc.es*