[Koha] collection vs item types

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Jan 25 08:48:49 NZDT 2011

> The OPAC currently lists item
> type only so we assume we should actually use this to identify different
> collections.

The most important factor to consider is that at the moment item types
can be used to set circulation policies and collection codes cannot.
Other than that they're fairly interchangeable. You can set the
"AdvancedSearchTypes" system preference to show either item types or
collection code on the advanced search page.

Because circulation policies can be set per item type we have set up a
few general item types for circ rules: circulating, videos and DVDs,
audio books, and non-circulating. Then we have a lot of collection
codes which we use to classify various combinations of audience,
material, and genre.

As log as you're giving your patrons and staff the right categories to
narrow their searches and you've got the circulation policies in place
that you need, there's not a wrong way to do it.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries