[Koha] Analytic records

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Thu Feb 17 22:04:54 NZDT 2011

[Subject changed for clarity.]

I had incorrectly presumed that the question posed was about article full
text indexing.  The question is actually asking about creating analytic
records for serials articles.

MARC 21 uses field 773 to link the analytic (child) record to the host
(parent) record.  See the MARC 21 example at
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/examples.html#monographic .  To make
field 773 available in the Koha record editor for new records, create a
new framework as a duplicate of a Koha MARC 21 bibliographic framework and
give it an appropriate name.  In the MARC frameworks editor,  unhide
needed subfields from field 773 changing the hidden value for the needed
subfields to 0.  See the guidance for editing Koha MARC frameworks in the
manual,
http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=x4484#AEN4491 .

UNIMARC uses field 46X to link the analytic (child) record to the host
(parent) record.  See the UNIMARC example at
http://archive.ifla.org/VI/3/p1996-1/guid1.htm .

If maintaining separate barcodes for each issue of a serial over years,
then there is the danger of exceeding the maximum MARC record size in
Koha.  Koha includes holding in holdings fields as part of the MARC
bibliographic records.  Avoid exceeding the maximum MARC record size by
creating analytic records for each volume or issue of a serial and attach
items at the volume or issue level.  Article level records might then be
linked to volume or issue level records which would in turn be linked to
serial title records.

Doing all the analytic cataloguing at the issue level instead of the
article level for a serial would be possible using the formatted table of
contents notes field but that would require modifying indexing and display
of the result set to obtain a degree of granular access similar to what
can more easily be obtained from article level records.  MARC 21 505
provides separate subfields for contents titles and authors while the
equivalent UNIMARC 327 does not.

There is an RFC,
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Analytic_Record_support , and there
are multiple sets of patches for management of anlaytic records better in
Koha 3.4.

The Koha serials module as it is presently designed guides the management
of what issues have been received and are expected but not the cataloguing
of access points for serials or their content.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D
New York, NY  10003
USA
http://www.agogme.com
+1 212-674-3783

Original Subject: Re: [Koha] Serials Module:Article Indexing

On Tue, February 15, 2011 04:50, SANDEEP BHAVSAR wrote:
> Respected All
>
> I am entering the data of our Serials in Koha. I have some questions.
> 1) If a entered Harvard Business Review (Monthly). then how can I do the
> article indexing of HBR in koha.
> ex. if Jan-2011 has 18 articles then where should I entered the title of
> these 18 articles in Koha.
>
> 2) If my user is searching for specific article then OPAC should show the
> Name of Journal, Issue and article title.

[...]