[Koha] bulk BiblioAddsAuthorities?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Sun Feb 13 23:27:20 NZDT 2011

What format (if any) are your authorities currently in? If you can
bulk import your authorities, you will be able to link to them.
We had to build ours from scratch before import.
To create our authorities records, we stripped the names out of the
appropriate fields in the bib records, fed them into a database,
de-duplicated and checked inconsistencies, adding notes and references
fields as needed. Then we converted them to MARC.
This produced a separate authority file that we uploaded and then we
ran link_bibs_to_authorities.pl
If you already have them in electronic format, you can skip several
steps in the process.

This doesn't really answer your question about how to have Koha create
new authorities with a bulk import. Just how we worked around the
problem.
Elaine

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Peter Huerter <pete.huerter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like  BiblioAddsAuthorities to work even for bulk imports.  It does
> not work when records are staged in Koha, nor when bulkmarcimport.pl is
> used.  It does work when one edits and saves a marc record and global
> preference BiblioAddsAuthorities is set to "on".
>
> I found this same question posted to koha-dev in 2009 (with no response):
> http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Bulkmarcimport-and-authorities-tp3065080p3065080.html
>
> I also found an IRC conversation from 2008 on this topic (with no
> resolution):
> http://stats.workbuffer.org/irclog/text.pl?channel=koha;date=2008-01-22
>
> What I have been able to gather is that the relevant code is contained in
> BiblioAddAuthorities in cataloguing/addbiblio.pl.
>
> #
> # sub that tries to find authorities linked to the biblio
> # the sub :
> #   - search in the authority DB for the same authid (in $9 of the biblio)
> #   - search in the authority DB for the same 001 (in $3 of the biblio in
> UNIMARC)
> #   - search in the authority DB for the same values (exactly) (in all
> subfields of the biblio)
> # if the authority is found, the biblio is modified accordingly to be
> connected to the authority.
> # if the authority is not found, it's added, and the biblio is then modified
> to be connected to the authority.
> #
>
> This is what I want, but in bulk.
>
> Is there already a script that calls BiblioAddAuthorities and processes all
> biblio records in bulk?
>
> If not, can someone take a moment and give me any advice about how one would
> write such a script?  I am new to Koha.  An example script would be great.
>
> We want to be able to manage our own Authorities for at least Authors in
> house.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete.
>
> Volunteer with
> The Archives and Collections Society