[Koha] excel to iso convertion

Andrew Buxton A.Buxton at ids.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 03:26:06 NZDT 2010

Hello Yatheesh

You do not say what your Excel format is like but it will probably be a lot less detailed than MARC.  For example, it probably won't have MARC indicators and won't distinguish main entry and added entry.  So the MARC you end up with may not be very high quality.  In any case you will need to decide how each of your Excel fields should convert to one or more MARC fields.

If you are a CDS/ISIS user, or know one, there is a utility that converts from Excel to CDS/ISIS and CDS/ISIS can export in ISO 2709 format (of which MARC is one example).  You would need to understand CDS/ISIS and MARC well to perform the conversion.

Andrew Buxton
IDS, Brighton, UK