[Koha] Message from PTFS/LibLime

ed c terrapin44 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 01:32:53 NZST 2010

--- On Fri, 9/17/10, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

<...>

> Huh?  This seems to be ignoring that LibLime has *already* organised
> and funded the creation of a Koha Software Foundation in Ohio!
> Registration number 1839255 created 26 Feb 2009, but no-one else knows

That was Liblime and not PTFS. Please don't cause issues by confounding the issue with actions of past players.

> what its rules are, community participants have asked after that
> foundation and not got a useful answer, and so on and so on.

As far as I know, no-one has proposed using this entity created by someone that isn't involved in this discussion, so whatever rules it has doesn't matter. Even, if someone does, the only rules that would matter are the ones that say how to change it. Besides, tis is an Ohio entity and not even recognized by the US government as a 501(c)3 or similar organization, so a lot of work would need to go into doing that. Registering in a state is one thing, getting through the United Satates' IRS is another.

> What is the situation with that foundation and how can it be turned
> over to the community?

PTFS has already said they are looking into this. They may not even be the rightful controllers of it. Certainly the contact information is not theirs.

> Does it have to be a 501(c)3?

This is why we need proposals. Instead of e-mail of IRC.. Propose something else if you don't like this instead of complaining.

>  The US's charity law isn't all that great and its banking system
> is awful.

Why isn't the US non-profit law great (note that charity law and non-profit law are not the same although related)? All banking systems are horrible. Instead of lobbing acquisitions about US law, please point to specifics and make a proposal that can be responded to.

> Could it be an association rather than a foundation?

Again, this is why we need proposals. If this is what you think is best, please propose it with details why an association is better than a foundation. And what you mean be the difference as they can be the same thing legally in some jurisdictions.

<...>

Edward